Founded in 2006 by local citizens, Vibrant Abbotsford is dedicated to building a more vibrant city through the reduction of poverty.
To create conditions for reducing poverty in Abbotsford, we present low income residents with opportunities and tools to lift themselves out of their current realities instead of merely helping them to live with the reality of being poor.
Poverty reduction is the action of moving people out of poverty situations, rather than making their lives in poverty more comfortable.
Vibrant Abbotsford collaborates with existing poverty reduction efforts while also developing new approaches, which include activities that:
- Shift local attitudes towards poverty and community, including ‘us and them’ stances;
- Build local understanding of poverty;
- Remove policy and other barriers that keep people in poverty;
- Assist local citizens to build financial, physical, and social assets;
- Enhance connections between people; and
- Help all residents to feel included in Abbotsford life.
As a collaborative group, Vibrant Abbotsford works with a variety of partners, including all levels of government, social and voluntary organizations, faith-based organizations, local businesses, funders, and the people of Abbotsford.
Vibrant Abbotsford focuses on areas that will contribute to moving people from poverty, including
- Education and skills development;
- Financial assets building;
- Health and nutrition; and
- Social connections
Concentration on these areas allows Vibrant Abbotsford to frame activities in a coordinated, targeted way, with the ultimate goal of building a more vibrant Abbotsford!
FRASER VALLEY LABOUR COUNCIL
We acknowledge the financial support of the Province of British Columbia.